PYB Health Surgeries now support parkrun and have signed up to be ‘parkrun Practices’.
What does this mean?
As a group of GP surgeries we are passionate about the importance of exercise for the wellbeing of all of our patients. We want to encourage and empower every single one you to improve your health through regular exercise. We see parkrun as the perfect way to do this. It’s fun, it’s outdoors and it’s something you can do with all the family. Plus, the parkrun ethic is first and foremost friendly, inclusive and encouraging. Anyone can get involved, no matter how unfit you feel you are. It must also be remembered that parkrun is free!
What is parkrun?
Parkruns for Adults (5km distance) take place at 9am every Saturday at over 500 locations across the UK. You can find out more and find your local event at www.parkrun.org.uk. It’s a great event that all the family can take part in. Children can take the shorter ‘junior parkrun’ events (Sunday 9am) – these are all 2km. Find out more here (link to Luke’s case study) about some of our Bridgend junior parkrun champions.
If you live in the Bridgend area, your local parkruns are…
- Porthcawl – opposite the Grand Pavillion (CF36 3YW). Find out more here.
- Maesteg – Welfare Park (CF34 0BT). Find out more here.
- Junior parkrun (2 kilometres) is available for children over 4 years old at Newbridge Fields in Bridgend on a Sunday at 9am every week (CF31 4AH). Find out more here.
Registering for parkrun is very simple
- Fill the form here.
- You will then be e-mailed 8 copies of a unique barcode (7 spares).
- Take it along to the parkrun. You don’t need to give it in until the end – it will be scanned and you will later be e-mailed your time.
- By exercising regularly, you are going to improve your health and wellbeing, as well as inspire the next generation to lead a healthy life.
NHS ‘Step-Wise’ Programme
If you really do not feel ready for parkrun yet there is a great NHS ‘step-wise’ 9 week programme with runs three times a week which takes you from ‘never run’ to 5k by the end of the nine weeks. Find out more here.
If you like running or would rather tackle running with a club to support you, the local running club Pencoed Panthers welcome beginners and new runners as well as established ones. Find out more about Pencoed Panthers here.